The Community and Hospital Education Service is an AP Academy that exists to provide education for pupils unable to attend school due to medical reasons. Its main principle is:
‘Cornwall believes that children and young people with health needs that impede their attendance at school should have access to high quality educational opportunities, with the expectation that they will be returning to school as soon as possible’.
CHES aims to:
- Ensure early identification and intervention and thus reduce anxiety for children and young people, families and schools.
- Provide a maximum of 20 hours education per week, for all children and young people of statutory school age whose health enables them to access this.
- Encourage close liaison with parents and carers at every stage of the process.
- Ensure that the child’s view is taken into account at every stage.
- Provide continuity of educational provision.
- Promote successful re-inclusion into school.
- Work together with other services and agencies to ensure there is a high quality educational provision for this group of vulnerable children and young people.
- Ensure effective liaison with health professionals by schools, CHES and other AEP provision.
CHES teachers and teaching assistants visit the homes of the students and provide a personal, exciting and innovative education appropriate to the students in terms of their age as well as their educational and medical needs. Where appropriate, this may run alongside Kernow Cyberschool.
In Patient Education at RCH (Treliske)
Education in Treliske is provided through the Hospital Schoolroom. We adopt a “Creative Curriculum” that aims to reduce the anxiety of a hospital stay for pupils. For longer stay pupils, individual programmes of education are developed, including teaching programmes that support national qualifications.
The Community and Hospital Education Service converted to academy status as part of Acorn Academy Cornwall on 1 June 2013.
Further information can be found on the Acorn Academy Cornwall website.
Ofsted information about Community and Hospital Eductaion Service.